Monday, March 24, 2014

Roasted Spaghetti Squash Seeds



It seems that every year at the start of April I challenge myself to cut out sweets and other fattening foods and start eating a healthier diet. I already tend to eat quite healthy, but it’s been a long winter of comfort food. Comfort food = lots of cheese…typically. You know, like my Super Cheesy Macaroni & Cheese with 8 cups of cheese. Delicious? Yes. Healthy? Questionable at best. ;o) Time to scoot on over to the healthy side.
Spring keeps trying to creep up which means April is coming just as quickly. So, let’s start this healthy eating kick off a little early with a crunchy little snack, shall we? We scored a gem of a spaghetti squash at Aldilucky us! This weekend when My Love cut it open and scooped out the seeds he had the brilliant idea to roast the seeds. Why had we never thought of this before?
I rinsed all the goop off the seeds, patted them dry, and tossed them with a touch of canola oil and a sprinkle of salt. Then I popped them in the oven for a short period of time and out came a lovely little snack. I wish I had a ton more! We gobbled them right up in the blink of an eye.
These roasted seeds were super crunchy and perfectly salted. We really should have saved them for a salad, but they were just too good to set aside. Just wait until you see what I made with the actual squash—something super healthy and spring-like. Until then…just go snack on these wee beauties. Mmm!

Roasted Spaghetti Squash Seeds
Yields ¾ cup

Ingredients

Seeds from 1 large spaghetti squash—rinsed and patted dry
½ tsp. canola oil
Sprinkle of salt
Non-stick spray

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil lightly coated with non-stick spray.

Add the seeds, oil, and salt to a small bowl and mix well. Evenly spread the seeds onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 11 minutes. Gently toss the seeds and bake for another 10-11 minutes, or until lightly golden. Sprinkle on a little more salt if desired. Serve warm.


4 comments:

  1. What an interesting idea! I would have never thought to roast seeds other than pumpkin seeds, but I do love spaghetti squash. I'm curious - did they taste like pumpkin seeds, or did they have a different flavor?

    I can't wait to see what you have in store with your spaghetti squash :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer-

      I haven't had pumpkin seeds in a long time, but if I recall correctly...these squash seeds do taste a lot like pumpkin seeds, Such a yummy, crunchy little snack!

      Oooh, I just posted the meal I made with the spaghetti squash. So good!

      Delete
  2. What a tasty and healthy snack. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! I could go for a handful of these roasted seeds right now. Thanks for hosting the Sweet and Savoury Sunday link-up.

      Delete